Friday, March 3, 2017

MORE SUN SHAKE

Macy Skipper
Before these start piling up, a mini-link dump of unrelated Sun stuff is in order. Let's get this one out of the way first: The Sun Records mini-series. I don't know where you're from, but if you have access to CMT (Country Music Television) they're airing an eight part docudrama about Sun Records (Thursday nights). Two episodes have aired so far, and, besides the obvious Sam Phillips, good ol' Dewey Phillips figures in prominently, along with an Elvis, B.B. King, Jerry Lee Lewis and others. It's corny, and the casting is off (most of the OGs didn't have marquee looks), some of the chronology seems questionable, and there are period imperfect props all over the place, but I watch anyway. It might be more interesting had I not recently read the Sam Phillips bio by Peter Guralnick, because Guralnick's book just blows away the series. It makes it seem more like a rockabilly Knots Landing. It's almost like I'm watching just to see mistakes, or where undue liberties were taken. Seriously, read the book, it is far better. (And beware the film version that is apparently coming, starring Leonardo Dicaprio as Phillips. Oh brother.)



I wasn't even looking for Sun stuff at Rocky 52, but it just so happened that Jimmy Haggett, whom I've never heard of and was just a random click, recorded at Sun. Hell, I'll give anything recorded at Sun (or Memphis Recording Studio) a run. When I went looking for an image of Haggett, I ran into Macy Skipper, another Sun nobody. After hearing a half dozen vintage Sun rockabilly sides I never knew existed, I decided to bite on something else that caught my eye. Macy Skipper on Stax. Ho-ly shit, this was where the wheels just about came off. I'm not sure what the fuck this one is, and I'm not sure it's even the same Macy Skipper. But really, how many Macy Skippers could there have been in Memphis? But it's a trip. Three non-stop minutes of what sounds like half drunk freestyling. A nice jolt on the WTF-O-Meter, I don't care who it is.

Again, looking for images I got totally side-tracked at 706 Union Ave. Man, what a black hole that one is. For anyone with more than a mild interest in Sun Records, it's a total feast. More Sun data, trivia and anecdotes than you'll ever get through. You want Johnny Cash? Sure, here's Johnny Cash. But, Macy Skipper! Hell yeah!

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Macy Skipper- Bop Pills mp3 at Rocky 52
Macy Skipper- Slow Rock and Roll mp3
at Rocky 52
Macy Skipper- Quicksand Love mp3
at Rocky 52
Macy Skipper- Goofin' Off
at Rocky 52 Stax (not Sun)
Jimmy Haggett - Rock Me Baby mp3
at Rocky 52
Jimmy Haggett - Rabbit Action mp3
at Rocky 52
Jimmy Haggett - How Come You Do Me Like You Do mp3
at Rocky 52
Visit:
706 Union Avenue

No comments: